Neighbourhood Houses Tasmania (NHT) is the peak body for 35 Neighbourhood Houses across Tasmania.
NHT and each individual House are independent entities. NHT is not the decision-making body for Houses, but exists to represent, support and enable Houses in Tasmania. Our goal is to help Houses do what they do best-use a community development approach to support local communities in ways that make a real difference in people's lives.
NHT provides support, training and lobbying for our member Houses across Tasmania and represents the Network of Houses in government and community sector forums. The services that we provide to our members include:
- Confidential support to Houses on governance and management issues
- Governance Committee Handbook, tools and templates
- Lobbying local, state and federal governments on behalf of our members
- Liaison with the major funding body, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Representation on working groups, committees and boards within Tasmania, and on the national level Australian Neighbourhood Houses and Community Centres Association (ANHCA)
- Coordination training opportunities
- Sourcing and brokering funding on behalf of the network.
- Partnerships with other community organisations to deliver relevant programs
- The annual NHT Conference and regular regional meetings
- Coordinate joint marketing, promotion and group purchase initiatives
- Regular newsletter, updates, news and information for member Houses
- Comprehensive NHT website-a key information resource for our members
NHT is governed by a Board of Governance, with members elected from the north, northwest and southern regions of Tasmania. The Board is comprised of staff, committee members and volunteers from local Houses, ensuring that the governance and management of NHT is always focused on the issues that really matter to our members and their local communities. NHT is funded by DHHS under the Community Support Program; Peak Body Service. The NHT team includes a Chief Executive Officer, Administration Officer and three Project Officers, who work on dedicated projects while also responding to the daily needs of Houses across the state.
To find out what Neighbourhood Houses do, check out this video
Strategic Framework 2018-2023
Strategic Framework 2019-23 Part 2
STRATEGIC FRAMEWORK 2019–2023 PART 2
Celebrating, Doing – Community Development in Action
Part 2 of Neighbourhood House Program Strategic Framework 2019-2023 provides an overview of the operations and practice of the Houses. The Strategic Framework has been developed in partnership between the Tasmanian Government and the Neighbourhood House Network, and aligns with the Tasmanian Government and Neighbourhood Houses Shared Commitment to Collaboration: A protocol for working together for the benefit of local communities.
Community Development Resources
Practical resources for Neighbourhood Houses and communities.
Community Development in Action: A Handbook for Neighbourhood Houses is our latest resource, available here electronically or in your Tassie based Neighbourhood House. Additional copies are available for purchase - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order
In a previous project we worked with Tasmania Medicare Local to develop a toolkit in partnership with Kylie Eastley Consultancy, Neighbourhood Houses Tasmania and the Tasmanian Government Department of Health and Human Services . The Toolkit included an introductory manual and some additional resources
Handbook for Neighbourhood House Boards
A Handbook for Neighbourhood House Boards. A fantastic resource, with chapter summaries. A must have for all board members.
2018 NHT Outcomes Report 2 pager
Tasmanian Government and Neighbourhood House Protocol 2019
Making a Difference for our Communities
Our Outcomes Report for the Neighbourhood Houses Network for 2016-17
Our Stories - Stories from Neighbourhood Houses Around Tasmania
Stories of Us. Showcasing success in Tasmania communities.
NHT's Budget Priority Statements: 2018-19 onwards
NHT's Budget Priority Statements to the Tasmanian Government for the State Budget from 2018-19 onwards
2018-19 NHT Financial Statement
NHT's 2018-19 Final Accounts and Audit Report
NHT Strategic Plan
NHT's Strategic Plan for 2021-2024 outlining our vision, mission and goals.