Neighbourhood Houses Tasmania (NHT) is the peak body for 35 Neighbourhood Houses across Tasmania.
NHT and each individual House are independent entities. NHT is not the decision-making body for Houses, but exists to represent, support and enable Houses in Tasmania. Our goal is to help Houses do what they do best-use a community development approach to support local communities in ways that make a real difference in people's lives.
NHT provides support, training and lobbying for our member Houses across Tasmania and represents the Network of Houses in government and community sector forums. The services that we provide to our members include:
- Confidential support to Houses on governance and management issues
- Governance Committee Handbook, tools and templates
- Lobbying local, state and federal governments on behalf of our members
- Liaison with the major funding body, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Representation on working groups, committees and boards within Tasmania, and on the national level Australian Neighbourhood Houses and Community Centres Association (ANHCA)
- Coordination training opportunities
- Sourcing and brokering funding on behalf of the network.
- Partnerships with other community organisations to deliver relevant programs
- The annual NHT Conference and regular regional meetings
- Coordinate joint marketing, promotion and group purchase initiatives
- Regular newsletter, updates, news and information for member Houses
- Comprehensive NHT website-a key information resource for our members
NHT is governed by a Board of Governance, with members elected from the north, northwest and southern regions of Tasmania. The Board is comprised of staff, committee members and volunteers from local Houses, ensuring that the governance and management of NHT is always focused on the issues that really matter to our members and their local communities. NHT is funded by DHHS under the Community Support Program; Peak Body Service. The NHT team includes a Chief Executive Officer and two part-time Project Officers, who work on dedicated projects while also responding to the daily needs of Houses across the state.
To find out what Neighbourhood Houses do, check out this video
Strategic Framework 2018-2023
Community Development Toolkit
A practical resource for neighbourhood houses and communities.
Tasmania Medicare Local has developed this toolkit in partnership with Kylie Eastley Consultancy, Neighbourhood Houses Tasmania and the Tasmanian Government Department of Health and Human Services to provide tools to communities that may assist in the design, delivery, marketing, documentation and evaluation of community development programs.
Handbook for Neighbourhood House Boards
A Handbook for Neighbourhood House Boards. A fantastic resource, with chapter summaries. A must have for all board members.
2018 NHT Outcomes Report 2 pager
Tasmanian Government and Neighbourhood House Protocol 2019
Making a Difference for our Communities
Our Outcomes Report for the Neighbourhood Houses Network for 2016-17
Our Stories - Stories from Neighbourhood Houses Around Tasmania
Stories of Us. Showcasing success in Tasmania communities.
NHT's Budget Priority Statements: 2018-19 onwards
NHT's Budget Priority Statements to the Tasmanian Government for the State Budget from 2018-19 onwards .
2018-19 NHT Financial Statement
NHT's 2018-19 Final Accounts and Audit Report
2018-21 NHT Strategic Plan
NHT's Strategic Plan for 2018-21 outlining our vision, mission and goals.